Sunday, November 04, 2007

Day in the Life of a Freelance Writer

I have noticed that that, like me, other writers take some time to journal their writing lives. We may not all use exactly the same terms as my Day in the Life of a Freelance Writer, but the subject matter is much the same. I tend to have three kinds of working days, so below are my daily experiences, if you can think of a kind of day that I've missed off then please let me know.

Good Days


On a good day in the life of a freelance writer I start work between 8.30 and 9.30 am. I take my first break at around one and get back to work at about 3pm and work until 7 when I stop for dinner and maybe a tv program. I get back to work at about ten thirty pm and unless I have made plans to go out, or am attending a writer's chat, I will continue working till one or two thirty am. This means I get between 11 and 12 hours work done, this incudes invoicing, bidding for work and promotion as well as the actual writing.

In between and Bad Days


In between days mean that the writing gets done inbetween my supervising postgrad students and working on whichever research project I am involved in. The writing gets done in between the other two activities or simply waits till the late slot after ten.

Bad days are when I don't know where the next project is coming from, I get incessant phone calls, ghost it to avoid missing a deadline or be besieged by unexpected visitors. On these days I am lucky to get any writing done at all.

No comments:

blog catalogue

Writing Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

google search

Google

amazon